The 1823 Jacob Hiestand
House on KY-210 is one of only 12 German stone houses in the
state. It features exquisite hand-tooled masonry and period furnishings
(free tourist information, $2 guided tour, M-Sat 9-5, Sun 1-5 EST,
270-789-4343, no elevator). The nearby one-room
School houses a museum that represents a by-gone era of
education (July-Dec by appointment, off KY-55 behind Taylor County High,
The adjacent 1840
House served as a Confederate hospital after the Battle of Tebbs
Bend, where Confederate General John Hunt Morgan began his 1863
raid into Indiana and Ohio. Today the restored structure has a battle
diorama and Kentucky folk architecture exhibit (free, MD-LD daily 8-6,
LD-MD M-F 8-4 EST, 270-465-4463, cabin not handicapped accessible). A
driving tour of the battle sites begins at the visitor center.
One of 12 German stone houses in
Kentucky, the Jacob Hiestand House is a significant example of a federal
style house. The house possesses extremely fine quality hand-tooled
masonry work rarely equaled in 18th or 19th century American architecture.
Monday - Saturday 9AM-5PM
1PM - 5PM
Admission to the house to obtain tourist information is
To help defray costs, admission of $2.00 is charged for
a guided tour. Children under 18 with parents are free. Group rates are
TELEPHONE: (270) 789-4343
The Atkinson-Griffin House
An 1840 log structure, this 1 1/2 story double-pen log house served
as a Confederate Hospital after the battle of Tebbs Bend, fought on July
4, 1863. Visitors can view a diorama of the battle, and view weapons and
other Civil war memorabilia.
The Atkinson-Griffin House can be viewed at the US Army Corp of
Engineers Visitors Center at Green River Lake.
The Friendship Schoolhouse
- The Friendship School was built in Taylor County about 1918 by
residents of the Bengal community. It was located on the farm of
Theodore and Ellen Cowherd approximately 8 miles from its present
- At different periods of its existence the class size may have
varied from as small as eight to as large as forty students.
- According to Mr. Cowherd who attended Friendship from the first
through the eighth grades, two students would sit together at one
desk, called a "double-seater." He recalled attending school from
eight to four with the school term running from July through December.
- Many times the highlight of the school term would be the Christmas
program. Other events held at the one-room school were: box or
pie-suppers, minstrels, political forums, and sometimes church
services. Most social activities in each community evolved around the
school or church. Usually the entire community attended these
- The rural school played a critical role in shaping the communities
future. The times demanded that all able hands in the family work, the
school needed to provide the basics of learning. Many felt
"preparation for life was the real function of the school," and life
meant putting food on the table not grasping the concept of an acute
angle. A truly successful teacher taught students how to apply the
lesson of learning to the challenges of everyday living.
- The Friendship School now is both a museum and a classroom. It is
part of our heritage that will become an important part of our present
as well as our future.
a One Room Schoolhouse
(Located behind the Taylor
County High School)
300 Ingram Avenue
Open the first Sunday afternoon of
each month from 1:00 - 4:00 pm or by appointment.
(270) 465-5410 (270) 465-5106 or (270) 465-2055